Sunday, June 29, 2008

Reflections on a Voyage to China

To say this was a life changing excursion would be an understatement. How often do you go on "vacation" and come home with a lifetime commitment?

While away, we lost both a childhood friend of Lindsay's and a coworkers husband. How strange that a time of joy and a time of sorrow can intermingle so closely in our extended family. Even though Meredith is almost one, it feels to us like she was born when they placed her in our arms.

At first I was unsure about travelling to China. I wanted to get Meredith as soon as possible, but wouldn't it be nice if they delivered her to us in the US like the Koreans do? Some people claim the travel requirement is all about money. Now I know different. These last two weeks are irreplaceable. No way else would we be free to shower our attention on Meredith with no outside distractions. No cooking, no cleaning, no work. Plus, we now have a better understanding of the world she comes from.

I've thought quite often about what drives someone to leave their baby on the street for strangers to find. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt because I don't walk in their shoes. However, after only two weeks of Meredith being my daughter, I can't think of any set of circumstances that could cause me to give her up. I guess some things will never be understood.

What a change we've seen in our daughter over the last two weeks. We first met a terrified, confused little girl. Her screams were bloodcurdling. Over two weeks those screams have turned to laughs. She has the biggest smile I've ever seen. Everyday we see new aspects of her personality. I can't wait to see what is next.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey Guys!

It's so true - that trip to China is incredible - isn't it? I was blessed to share this trip with you and meet your precious Meredith. Seeing her first smiles with you was priceless. Thank you so much for your help and letting me and Ren crash a few meals with you. We can't wait to get together. Let us know whenever you might be on this side of the mountains - my family would love to meet you and I want Ren and Meredith to be able to share a friendship as they grow up.
Praying for good sleep for ALL of you at night time!